Sunday, May 30, 2010

Burn! Burn! Burn!


Today I am feeling much better [cough! cough!].  The catering gig yesterday was a huge success.  I think I might even have a few referrals from it.  I was really worried about everything turning out okay.  I don't know why I worry, but sometimes I do.  Everyone raved over the food.   I was worried that there wouldn't be enough, but there were actually leftovers (which I packaged up for the customer).  Except for the cheese ~ the cheese practically vaporized.  Seems that the Graduation was at 1:30, requiring the Graduate and all of her family to get there by 11:30, which meant that no one ate lunch and were starving by the time they arrived.


Fortunately, the Mushroom Lasagna, Pastitsio, Polenta, Chicken Rollotini, and Salad were already prepared and just had to be set up.  I wish I had pictures of the Lasagna plated.  It looks so pretty with the white rows of cheese. 
It's always surprising how well Polenta is received.  It's such a simple food - basically corn meal mush - it's a staple in the Mediterranean.  It takes on other flavors so well.  You can make it sweet like a dessert (or more like Malt-O-Meal).  But I make mine with chicken broth, cream, garlic, basil and parmesan cheese.  Everyone says, "Mmmmmmm, what IS this?"   The customer didn't even know I was bringing Polenta.  But they didn't seem too upset about it.  I told her to take the cold leftovers, cut it into triangles and sautee them in olive oil for breakfast.  And serve with a fried egg on top.  Yum.

And I'll bet you were wondering, from the Title of this post, what it was that I burned.  I didn't.  Not yet.  Tonight I am going to burn some Bad Memories, some Loose Ends, some Lingering Dread, and some Nagging Doubts, in the fire pit in my back yard.  I'm hoping the Gods will send some good Karma in exchange for my offerings.  It's worked in the past.  FUP's Beware!  There's a full moon out tonight (that's a photo I took of the full moon).

1 comment: