Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Catering - the Good, the Bad and the Ugly

I love catering.  The truth is, I don't need to work.  My Type-A, workaholic husband makes more than enough money for me to stay home and do nothing but give him back rubs.  (although I don't)

I occasionally take on a catering gig because I love to cook and it's an ego boost for me.  I think my food is not only above average but creative and for me, it's a chance to display my "art".  My recipes are my own.  My food kicks ass.

I'm catering a wedding next month for 200 people. They're on a budget.  I get that.  I even appreciate that.  Everyone should have a budget.  But I think the fucking tacky ass plastic flowers are enough "cut back".  Seriously.  Do you want the food to be just as lack luster?

I did a presentation several months ago with about 5 food dishes that I suggested. They chose them all.  Then they went back and made modifications. And more modifications. Then I sent a quote, which was exactly in line with the "budget" that I was given. And then what did they do?  You guessed it.   They went back and asked me for "cheaper" dishes.  WTF?  If you want plain mashed potatoes then you should have some relative boil up a bunch of potatoes and it won't cost you anything.  And no one will like the food.  But hey, it's Cheap.  And apparently that's what's important.

I am proud of myself, however, for standing up and saying, "Hey, this is your daughter's one and only wedding.  I make fantastic food.  And I am giving you a STELLAR deal within the cost parameters that YOU gave me.  I really, REALLY can't go down on my prices any more and no, I'm not dumbing down the food."

And guess what?  They're going with my menu at my prices.

Maybe the marriage will be a success after all.

3 comments:

  1. You're the best, Pam! I need to stop being so "nice" (read: people step all over) and just be paid what I'm worth too for my services.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lucy, I should be charging her about $500 MORE than what I am quoting. The fact that she wanted even more of a discount really pissed me off.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad that you stood up for yourself and your great dishes - that is how you keep and build your reputation for great food. Don't compromise!!

    ReplyDelete